What is the effect of a decline in immunity?
Immunity drops include: long-term, chronic illnesses (obesity, diabetes), surgeries, frequent infections, long-term use of antibiotics, stress, chronic fatigue, exhaustion, insufficient physical activity, too much intellectual and physical work, indoor air pollution, polluted air dust, prolonged cold exposure, excessive sun exposure and heat…
Immunity is also damaged by bad habits: smoking, improper diet, long diets, insufficient sleep, irregular rest, pessimism, poor hygiene…
Especially in winter our body is susceptible to infections. Simply put, our cold body consumes a lot of warm-up energy, so if we take it away with other “struggles” (fatigue, physical exertion, stress) and not provide it with enough calories, vitamins and minerals, we create conditions for the disease to overcome.
How to strengthen immunity?
Strengthening immunity requires healthy habits and responsible behavior: proper nutrition, sufficient sleep, regular rest, daily physical activity, stress reduction, maintaining personal hygiene, maintaining space hygiene.
- Proper and healthy nutrition strengthens immunity. The body needs to consume a few smaller regular meals that should contain enough: vitamins (especially D, C and A), minerals, antioxidants, fiber, protein, carbohydrates and calories.
Fruits are recommended: southern fruits, grapes, apples, almonds and natural fruit juices. Vegetables include: onions, garlic, cabbage, eggplant, peppers, broccoli.
In the absence of fresh vegetables, winter provides enough vitamins. Chicken soup, lean meat, poultry meat, fish, mushrooms and low fat dairy products are included in the protein and minerals.
- Dietary supplements can be honey and propolis (breast milk) because they have a beneficial effect on immunity. A good combination is warm tea (from mint, chamomile, green tea, hibiscus…) sweetened with honey. Multivitamins help if you no longer get enough vitamins with a regular diet.
- Sleep and rest are essential to our health and stress reduction. It is important to sleep in peace and quiet for 7-8 hours a day. The bedroom should not be too hot. Daily, weekly and annual holidays are used to relax the body.
- Stress reduction is possible if we take only a few minutes during the day for ourselves. Then we should sit or lie down in peace and silence and not think about our obligations for at least 5 minutes, because it is very beneficial to the body. So does the hot tub or sauna, but it takes a little longer.
- Regular or moderate physical activity can improve immunity by up to 50%, which is scientifically proven. This includes: daily hiking, occasional swimming or running, recreational hiking.
The walks are especially welcomed in winter, in the park or by the rivers, to avoid the polluted city. Home-based exercises include: breathing exercises, yoga, tai-chi-chuan and chi-yong.
- Space hygiene and personal hygiene are prerequisites for good immunity. Regular handwashing, of course, is because they are the most susceptible to infection. Every day, ventilate the work areas and the bedroom, with cooling down to 3 to 5 minutes.
These are just some tips that can help us boost immunity.